Monday, May 4, 2009

I am a homemaker , First


I found this great quote on another blog and thought it would lead nicely to my first post here:

“When we traded homemaking for careers, we were implicitly promised economic independence and worldly influence. But a devil of a bargain it has turned out to be in terms of daily life. We gave up the aroma of warm bread rising, the measured pace of nurturing routines, the creative task of molding our families’ tastes and zest for life; we received in exchange the minivan and the Lunchable.” — Barbara Kingsolver
(first read on Modern Retro Woman)


Just recently I made the profound discovery that I am happiest when I am a homemaker, first. After spending years searching for a fulfilling "career" I can finally just be me. I can take the time to be present in everyday tasks, enjoy things as they are, and learn how to live more simply. Now, don't be fooled, this is not as easy as it sounds. I have spent my entire life trying to avoid cleaning, laundry, and everyday tasks. I grew up with a single mom, who spent a lot of time working and hated to come home to do more work. This lead me to see 'homemaking' as a chore that was only done when it had to be. I still don't know how to iron properly, fold sheets so they don't wrinkle or keep my sink shiny, but I am learning.

I have known for some time that I enjoy making bread from scratch, the smell of laundry fresh off the clothes line, and all things crafty. Knitting has brought me many hours of simple pleasure, curled up under a cozy blanket, while sipping tea. I now find I want to learn more about how my grandparents lived and managed everyday tasks. I want to help my children (2 girls) to understand that even simple tasks can hold meaning and pleasure.

Who knew that by admitting out loud that I am a homemaker first, I would ultimately find the career I was looking for. Welcome to Itty Bitty City Farm!

1 comments:

American Homemaker said...

I'm also happiest as a homemaker :)