Thursday, May 7, 2009

Chickens

I have a confession - I have been secretly researching and wanting chickens for a couple of years. Not so surprising considering I want a homesteading life but what is surprising - wait, I can barely contain my excitement - MY HUSBAND is actually warming to the idea!!!! This is a huge step in the chicken owning direction for me and I am soooooo excited.



After much research on breeds of chickens (I had no idea when I began there were so many), I amfairly confident that Silkie Bantams would be the best choice for our family. As you can see from the picture above, they are great looking as well. Can you say that about chickens?

Today, I happened upon a chicken breeder website that sells day old Silkie Bantams. After looking through the site and sighing because I would never find such great breeders close to me, I looked up their address, and SURPRISE....they are located in Prince Edward County about an hour from my home!!!!!!

For more info on Chickens check out these great sites:
Performance Poultry
Backyard Chickens
The City Chicken
City Chickens

Oh, and I can't forget this:




Called an Eglu - more info on this chicken coop can be found here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you are able to get your chickens soon. They are so much fun and great to have. I could watch ours for hours (and sometimes do)

Anonymous said...

I just discovered your blog, and I hope you get chickens. We have backyard chickens and I've blogged the experience. So far, so great. A few problems, but we've worked them. We're in the Northwest, so we opted to build a regular coop.
Your blog is very cute, and I'm going to bookmark it.